Oh Gosh! Christmas is well and truly on the horizon. Okay, you got us – less on the horizon more heading to us full speed ahead, we hope you’re ready or close to being….
But as we let you think of the festive time fast approaching we wanted to pause, breathe, forget about the present for your Mum, Boyfriend… *ahem*
And take a look at some different Christmas traditions – who knows maybe you’ll find a new one you like.
20th Century Fox via Giphy.com
1. The annual Christmas light switch on – on the high street
Some it has to be said are better than others.
oatsy40 via Flickr
2. Advent calendars in the 24 days running up to the big day
A little sweet treat or Christmas-y scene to wake up to each morning to remind us the day is on its way.
David Goehring via Flickr
3. Stockings on the fireplace and end of bed…
No matter your age there’s something that little bit magical about leaving a stocking on the fireplace or end of your bed…
NBC via Giphy.com
Or wherever else you might leave them… coming into the living room and finding it full of small gifts, sweets and fruit.
4. Midnight mass on Christmas Eve
A communion celebrated at around midnight, the service however usually starts around 11pm.
Sean Fornelli via Flickr
5. Talking Christmas services we can’t forget the Christingle
A service which usually takes place just before tea which culminates in a Christingle.
vincent Angler via Flickr
6. And the several Christmas carol services
Our local Church holds an advent carol service held roughly 4 weeks before the day and then a candlelight carol service a bit closer – it’s a little bit special.
Disney via Giphy.com
7. Mince pie and cherry for Santa… and a carrot of course for Rudolph!
Well he’s got a busy night ahead of him and those reindeers need their sustenance.
Nick via Flickr
8. On the day – Carols on the way downstairs – yes really
We don’t know what the neighbours must have thought!
9. The Christmas dinner with all the trimmings
Usually Turkey but there are many alternatives. Complete with crackers of course
Disney via Giphy.com
10. Watching the Queen’s speech
It’s not something everyone watches but lots of people do
Twentieth Century Fox via Giphy.com
11. Settling down to watch the BBC One Christmas TV
Erm, other channels might be available….
BBC via Giphy.com
12. Playing board games with family
Can you really not?
TriStar Pictures via Giphy.com
13. Kissing under the mistletoe
Whatever floats your boat.
Warner Bros. via Giphy.com
14. Secret Santa in the office, with friends or family
Go on, you know you want to…
New Line Cinema via Giphy.com
15. Ice skating… or some other kind of annual outing
We think of ice skating as we only have a rink nearby at this time of year… and it’s a little bit traditional.
Arden via Flickr
16. Make a trip to the theatre to take in a panto
It’s behind you!
Phil Richards via Flickr
We hope you’ve enjoyed our little gander at Christmas traditions but we thought we’d end it on a note to say that not everyone has a home to celebrate traditions like these and to this end the wonderful publisher that is Strips has a published a rather marvellous anthology of stories around the theme of home at Christmas.
It’s called I’ll Be Home For Christmas and within it’s pages lie a talented bunch of UKYA authors including the likes of Holly Bourne, Marcus Sedgwick, Non Pratt and Lisa Williamson. With every sale of the anthology £1 will be donated to Crisis at Christmas. If you’re intrigued you can nab a copy here*.
Although we received a copy of I’ll Be Home For Christmas for free we’ve donated £10 to the charity.