We love a good laugh and boy do sometimes we need it, 2016 we’re looking at you here!
mrchristianbale.tumblr.com via Giphy.com
We think funny books are there for more than just cracking jokes – sure they make us laugh and smile but is there more going on underneath the surface?
1. Laughing makes us feel good and can lift a glum mood
animatiewinkel.crazy4us.com via Giphy.com
2. Funny books enable authors to tackle issues which otherwise might be hard to look at
Yosub Kim, Content Strategy Director via Giphy.com
3. A funny book can make the idea of reading for pleasure a possibility
ruinedchildhood.com via Giphy.com
4. A funny book can teach us how to have a sense of humour – something which is greatly valued in lots of aspects of life
wifflegif.com via Giphy.com
5. Because you know what, life can be rubbish sometimes and humour goes a long way
imgur.com via Giphy.com
6. Funny things can resonate and stay with us long after the last page
reactiongifs.com via Giphy.com
7. Okay – they DO make us laugh and this can’t be ignored
fyspringfield.com via Giphy.com
Soooo we do have to wonder…. why are there so few awards to recognise funny books? We were very sad to see the Roald Dahl Funny Prize go but surely these kinds of books are important and they deserve at least some recognition!