We’ve just posted the news that the current Children’s Laureatte, Chris Riddel has written to the education secretary to call for libraries to be accessible to all children. To us it’s shocking that this is not currently compulsory and here are the reasons we think school libraries should never, ever be closed.
1) Libraries nurture a love of reading which lasts a lifetime
2) Libraries give easy and free access to books
3) Libraries are safe places away from the hustle and bustle of school life
4) Librarians are knowledgable and can point you in the direction of your next read
5) Libraries can be places where you can meet your next favourite author
Coheed and Cambria
6) Libraries are warm when it’s cold outside – well, they are
7) And we all know libraries can encourage literacy standards to soar!